Pork stew with caramelized apples, from a point of view of taste, is a complete dish as it is a bit sweet, a bit salty and a bit sour. The use of apples in the Czech gastronomy has been present for centuries. It was just our ancestors who often used apples, not only in desserts such as cakes and strudel, but also in the preparation of meat dishes. This stew is a classic example of the return to the old tradition, a very popular combination of pork, herbs such as rosemary and caramelized apples.
Pork Stew with Caramelized Apples
Number of People: 4
A fully flavoured dish...sweet, salty and sour.
- 200 g pork shoulder
- 200 g pork steak
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons freshly ground pepper
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 2 tablespoons butter or lard
- 1 onion
- 4 cloves garlic
- 50 g bacon
- 1 carrot
- 100 ml dry white wine
- 200 ml of 100% apple juice
- 200 ml vegetable broth
- 4 sprigs of rosemary
- 4 bay leaves
- 1 tablespoon butter
- CARAMELIZED APPLES
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 apples
- 50 ml apple juice
- Cut the pork shoulder and the pork steak into bite size cubes. In a bowl, pour flour, salt and pepper, add the pork cubes and mix everything.
- In a big saucepan fry the chopped pork cubes in butter or lard, stir and cook all over for about 10 minutes. Remove the meat with its juice and put it apart.
- Put diced bacon and fry until golden brown. Add finely diced onion, sliced garlic cloves and gently fry them. Then add chopped carrots and fry for 5 more minutes.
- Add rosemary (with tied sprigs, so to be easily removed, bay leaves, pour over the wine and let it evaporate.
- When it evaporates, add the pork cubes previously cooked, the apple juice and add enough broth in order to cover the meat completely.
- Put the lid on and let it simmer for about an hour until the meat gets tender. When ready add the butter.
- CARAMELIZED APPLES
- In a non-stick pan put the sugar, let it melt on low heat and add the sliced apples into wedges (get rid of the core). Cook about 5 minutes on all the sides until they caramelise. Pour the apple juice and cook the caramelised apples in it until it evaporates.
- Serve with roasted potatoes or rice.
World Gluttony http://www.worldgluttony.com/